Whatsapp has extended to more users the possibility of entering the beta test program of the renewed one “Multi-Device” functionalitywhich allows you to access the new version of WhatsApp Web, Desktop or Portal to try it out in advance, the one that Facebook presented a few weeks ago. The advantage of this new multi-device experience is the ability to use WhatsApp on multiple devices, even simultaneously, with chats that are synchronized via the cloud on all connected devices (up to a maximum of 4 additional devices, in addition to the phone). Cloud synchronization of information allows you to use Whatsapp on multiple devices without the need for your phone to be connected to the Internet. Keeping messages, multimedia files and personal calls safe, then, takes care of it end-to-end encryption.
The Whatsapp Multi-Device beta is currently available for users using the latest WhatsApp and WhatsApp Business beta apps on Android or iPhone, but also for stable WhatsApp and WhatsApp Business app users in some countries. . Coming soon, the updated multi-device experience will be rolled out globally for all Whatsapp users after this beta testing period has ended.
After the new multi-device experience in beta has been activated, it is possible to use WhatsApp on up to four additional devices at the same time, all connected to the same phone: after connection, the phone can be disconnected from the internet, with the chats remaining synchronized via the cloud on all other connected devices. But beware: after 14 days of no phone connection to the internet, the connected devices are automatically disconnected.
It is possible to participate in the Whatsapp Multi-Device beta test program by following these steps:
• on Android: by opening WhatsApp and pressing ‘More options’, then pressing ‘Connected devices’, then tapping ‘Multi-device beta version’ and finally tapping ‘join the beta version’.
• on iPhone: by opening the WhatsApp settings, pressing ‘Connected devices’, tapping ‘Multi-device beta version’ and finally tapping ‘join the beta version’.
As for the connection of other devices to the phone, everything remains as before: the only change is that the smartphone, after connecting one or more additional devices, can be turned off or disconnected from the internet (it must however be connected at least once within 14 days so as not to disconnect other devices connected via the cloud).
After joining the Multi-Device beta program, you have the option to leave it at any time, restoring the previous multi-device experience (which will be replaced by the new experience when it becomes official). To leave the Multi-Device beta program:
• on Android: by opening WhatsApp and pressing ‘More options’, then pressing ‘Connected devices’, then tapping ‘Multi-device beta version’ and finally tapping ‘leave beta version’.
• on iPhone: by opening the WhatsApp settings, pressing ‘Connected devices’, tapping ‘Multi-device beta version’ and finally tapping ‘abandon beta version’.
Before joining the beta program of the Whatsapp Multi-Device tool It is good to know that, at present, the experience has some limitations, it does not support these features:
– display of the position in real time in the additional devices
– block at the top of chats on WhatsApp Web or WhatsApp Desktop
– accept, view and restore group invitations from WhatsApp Web or WhatsApp Desktop (for these actions you must use the phone)
– sending messages or calls from your connected device if the recipients have an older version of WhatsApp on their phone
– calls from Portal or WhatsApp Desktop to connected devices that are not using the multi-device beta
– other WhatsApp accounts on the Portal do not work, unless they are using the multi-device beta version
– WhatsApp Business users cannot change the business name or labels from WhatsApp Web or WhatsApp Desktop
If you open Whatsapp and do not find the option to enter the beta program of the multi-device tool, it means that the app is not yet updated to the latest version available, or simply that your account is not yet able to participate in this program.
In our test, where the screenshots above come from, the Whatsapp app used is the one for Android updated to version 126.96.36.199
It is possible HERE to find out how the new Whatsapp Multi-Device experience technically works.