Windows 10 To integrated “Defender”, Microsoft’s antivirus. The process ” Antimalware Service Executable Is its background process. This program is also known as MsMpEng.exe and is part of the operating system.
What is Antimalware Service Executable?
It is integrated into the heart of operating system and used as anti-virus.
Like many other programs that need to run constantly in background, WDAS also runs in the background under the name (MsMpEng.exe).
For one reason or another, you can check the list in the Task Manager and check that the processor is not consuming more memory.
Often theanti-virus must execute the background by performing a scheduled scan, check the files to detect malware, install runtime software, and monitor files for changes.
[6 Solutions] Repair Api-ms-win-crt-runtime-l1-1-0.dll
To understand it, you have to know this tool well.
High RAM and CPU usage by Antimalware Service Executable
Because of analysis functions and of disk check executed by “Antimalware Service Executable”, the use of CPU becomes very high.
Like any other anti-virus installed on your system, Defender also performs checks and updates regular, which slows down the functioning of the CPU.
The main reasons for high usage:
- Its continuous operation in real time allowing to analyze the files and networks to detect malware.
- The second is the function offull scan which completely scans files while the CPU is idle or the system will turn back on right after standby or if the computer is connected to the network.
When he is running on your system, it is normal for your computer to hang up and delay operations and responses.
The user should not be stressed by poor performance computer or high usage, but rather wait for it to detect errors and viruses.
See also: Can We Remove AtkexComSvc Safely? [4 Solutions]
Is it a virus or not?
It is not a virus. It is above all a anti-virus which is a fundamental process of Defender.
As it is a background process, it is normal that it works 24 hours a day, 7 days a week to check the presence of malware and of spyware.
Additionally, there are no reports of virus intrusion to mimic the Executable Antimalware Service.
If your problem persists, it is always recommended to scan your system using other antivirus software.
[7 SOLUTIONS] Repair “KMODE EXCEPTION NOT HANDLED”
The permanent way of deactivate, is to remove the app from your system. However, uninstallation is not recommended if there is no other antivirus software in your Windows.
Only the temporary deactivation can be done, because there is always a MsMpEng.exe file running in the bottom of your system.
For the How to disable RAM usage it is possible and the following steps will guide you to do so:
- Go to the menu To start up and open the security center Windows Defender.
- To go to the Protection against viruses and threats.
- Click on Virus and threat protection settings.
- Click and deactivate ” real-time protection“.
[10 Solutions] Fix “Unable to Read Test Tone”
Disable it from the registry editor
- Press the keys Windows + R, type regedit in the search box and press Entrance to launch theregistry editor.
- Go to : HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE SOFTWARE Policies Microsoft Windows Defender
- Right-click on Windows Defender and select New and select Dword.
- Double click on the new value ; name her Disable AntiSpyware and set the value to 1.
If you don’t like theregistry editor, you can also deactivate using command prompt.
You can change your registry with just one command line.
It’s very simple and you can do it by following these steps:
- Press the key Windows + X to open the menu Win + X.
- Choose Command Prompt (Admin) Where PowerShell (Admin) in the menu.
- When the’Command Prompt opens type REG ADD “hklm software policies microsoft windows defender” / v DisableAntiSpyware / t REG_DWORD / d 1 / f
After running this command, your register will be modified and he will be disabled. Using the command line to disable it is a faster method.
(4 Methods) Repair “Reboot and Select Proper Boot Device”
Reprogram its operation
- First, you need to access the Task planner.
- The easiest way to access it is through the window Execute.
- Just press the key Windows + R on your keyboard.
- Type taskschd.msc and click on OK.
- In the left panel in the window that opens and develop (by double-clicking on it) the following:
Task Scheduler Library > Microsoft > Windows.
- In the Windows folder, find a folder called Defender.
- In the menu in the center and double-click on Defender Scheduled Scan.
- In the tab General, click to check the box next toRun with maximum permissions.
- Go to the tab Terms & Conditions and uncheck all the boxes below.
- Finally go to the tab Triggers, then click New… Customize the scanning schedule to your preferences. Click on OK to finish.
- Before doing so, make sure that the ” Enabled Is checked!
[4 Méthodes] To Repair “Page Fault in Nonpaged Area”
Put Antimalware Service Executable in the exclusion list
Here is another tip for reduce high memory usage caused by antimalware service executable.
- Press the key Windows + I to open Settings .
- Click on Update and Security (if you can’t see it, scroll down with your mouse).
- Select in Windows defender , and then click Open Windows Defender Security Center.
- Click on Protection against viruses and threats, then choose Virus and threat protection settings.
- Down Under Exclusions, click on Add or remove exclusions.
- Choose to add a Process exclusion.
- Type MsMpEng.exe and click on Add.
Now the mentioned process should minimize CPU usage.
9 Ways To Fix “Err Internet Disconnected” Easily
Scan your Windows computer for malware
It is possible that malware infect MsMpEng.exe file and cause this problem of intensive use of your computer resources.
Therefore, you can use Malwarebytes Where AdwCleaner to scan your computer to detect malware and remove it.
See as well: [8 Solutions] Repair System Thread Exception Not Handled
Disable Windows Defender
Keeping it running is a good idea to protect your computer from malware.
However, if you continue to have problems withhigh CPU usage, which is caused by the service Antimalware Service Executable, then you should probably deactivate the defender permanently.
To do this, go to Settings then Update and Security and Defender, then disable all protection options.
Delete his directory
According to many users, the problem of Antimalware Service Executable can be solved by removing the Defender directory.
Follow the steps to do so:
- Go to C: Program Files and find the folder by Defender.
- Obtain ownership of the folder.
- Finally, delete the directory.
These steps remove it from your computer. The problem of high CPU usage by Antimalware Service Executable will be resolved.
Consider modernizing your PC
If the other methods don’t work, you may want to consider upgrading some parts of your PC.
As of 2020, new PCs are often configured with at least 8 GB of RAM and a solid state drive (SSD) rather than an old hard disk drive (HDD).
Software is increasingly developed taking these minimum specifications into account.
If you have an older computer, with less RAM and a slower hard drive, you should add more RAM and perform a full install of Windows 10 on an SSD.
This will not solve the problem of Antimalware Service Executable which uses 100% CPU or processor, but with more RAM and faster SSD, anti-malware scans will be performed much faster.
Also, you’ll notice that everything from launching your computer to opening and saving files is much faster than before.
Although upgrading a PC is outside the scope of this tutorial, this option is worth considering.
Indeed, it only takes a few new (or second-hand!) Components for an older computer to appear to be a totally different machine.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can we stop Antimalware service executable?
This process cannot be terminated as long as you are using the built-in Windows anti-virus / defender engine.
But if you turn off the real-time feature or switch to third-party antivirus software, you won’t see this process in your task manager.
Why is my anti-malware service running at full capacity?
The service is high because it analyzes PC activity in real time.
How can I fix the high CPU usage of Antimalware service executable?
We have listed several methods in this article to help you prevent it from consuming excessive CPU resources. Please follow the next steps.