Between Green Passdigital identity (SPID) and mobile banking apps, smartphones have become real safes for all our data – even the most sensitive. According to a survey that the Wiko brand conducted within its community on Instagram, 72% of participants know of the risk involved in saving personal data and important documents on their smartphone, but the majority (68%) still entrust them to their own. mobile device. How can you translate awareness and fears into concrete actions to protect yourself and your data at all times and on every device?
67% of survey respondents said they would never forget their smartphone in a public place. In the event of the device being stolen, the exposure to the illegal use of their data frightens 53% of the survey participants, with the possible dissemination of their photos and private messages frightening the remaining 47%.
The mobile phone is now used to access home banking apps and Spid services (digital identity). 65% of the interviewees stated in the Wiko survey that they protect access through fingerprint recognition or use a password manager. Unfortunately, a whopping 35% admitted to using the same password for every service.
We have always said that no one gives away the world, so you have to be wary of emails and messages that begin with “congratulations, you won” or similar, especially if they contain links or invite you to continue in links to confirm the prize: you must not press these links. Returning to the Wiko survey, for 61% of respondents skepticism wins: they prefer to check the URL and the source of the message, rather than press absent-mindedly.
When it comes to showing photos and videos to their friends, most of the users interviewed prefer not to hand their smartphone to others: 76% show the screen, but holding the mobile phone firmly in their hands.
According to research by Kaspersky [Dox, steal, reveal. Where does your personal data end up? Dicembre 2020.], the majority of individuals still little understand the importance of protecting their data online and not sharing it lightly. THE millennials Italians spend an average of over 7 hours a day online, but only 38% are aware of having to strengthen their security skills. 43% of young Italians think they are too boring to arouse the interest of a cybercriminal, which is why many share private information even on social networks without fear of exposing themselves to phishing attacks, the theft of personal data for resale on the dark web or to new phenomena such as doxing – a practice in which a user shares another person’s private information without their consent to embarrass or endanger them.
From what emerges from the data privacy heatmap [Stiamo perdendo il controllo sui nostri dati? Giugno 2021] of Kaspersky, after the Covid19 pandemic, Italians are much more willing to share their health, geolocation and contact data if it is a question of obtaining more freedom and no longer being restricted. The most available are the Millennials with 77% and Generation Z with 75% of users. In this regard, according to the Wiko survey, 4 out of 5 respondents (84%) saved the Green Pass in digital format, to always have it with them within reach of the screen.
• Download apps only from official stores and always check the active permissions to minimize the possibility of data being shared or stored by third parties without the user’s knowledge. Evaluate which services and apps have not been used for some time: if you do not want the information on these apps to appear elsewhere, you can request the deletion of the data;
• Use different alphanumeric password combinations for each account. It is better to avoid using the same password multiple times, for different accounts, and if available it is a good idea to activate two-factor authentication. The latest generation smartphones offer biometric security tools – such as fingerprint sensor and face recognition – which are useful for further protecting your data from mobile;
• Monitor your name and surname through searches on the main browsers. Knowing what information about your account is available online helps you better understand what could be used to harm. Some search engines also allow you to subscribe to a free notification service to be notified if information about your identity is published;
• Check if your email addresses were involved in a data leak. There are free online services that let you know if you have been the victim of a cyberattack. In this case it is advisable to change all passwords and delete accounts or profiles that have not been used for a long time.
• Avoid posting geotagged content in frequently visited placeslike your own home or that of a family member: content shared online publicly is within reach of a like as much as a hacker.