Huawei has just expressed its desire to relaunch itself on the global market at MWC 2022 and now, with the usual excellent timeliness, has presented in detail the update containing the security patches of the month of March 2022with a complete list of Huawei-branded smartphones and tablets and HONOR smartphones prior to the sale that will receive them.
Before moving on to the point, a premise is necessary: here we will not touch on the HarmonyOS topic, which is obviously at the center of the present and future plans of the Chinese manufacturer, but only that of the EMUI / Magic UI based on Android (open source).
Huawei: all the details of the security patches of March 2022
All the details of the security update of the month for March 2022 for EMUI and Magic UI have already been made available by Huawei on its official website. As usual, the patches are broken down into: third-party library patches (CVE announced in the February 2022 Android security bulletin), Huawei patches. Here is what the manufacturer reports.
For the CVEs of the Android security patches of February 2022 you can refer to this address: https://source.android.com/security/bulletin.
Here, however, are the patch specifications of Huawei:
- CVE-2021-40054: Integer overflow vulnerability in the atcmdserver module
- CVE-2021-40011: Vulnerability of uncontrolled resource consumption in the display module
- CVE-2021-40053: Permission checking vulnerability in neighboring module
- CVE-2021-40052: Vulnerability of incorrect calculation of the buffer size in the video structure
- CVE-2021-40051– Unauthorized access vulnerability in system components
- CVE-2021-40050: Read out of range vulnerability in IFAA form
- CVE-2021-40049: Permission checking vulnerability in PMS module
- CVE-2021-40048: Vulnerability of incorrect calculation of the buffer size in the video structure
- CVE-2021-40062Vulnerability of copying input buffer without controlling its size in the video structure
- CVE-2021-40047: Memory vulnerability not released after effective life in Bastet module
- CVE-2021-40061: Resource access vulnerability using incompatible type (type confusion) in Bastet module
- CVE-2021-40060: Vulnerability resulting in heap-based buffer overflow in the video structure
- CVE-2021-40059: Permission control vulnerability in the Wi-Fi module
- CVE-2021-40058: Vulnerability resulting in heap-based buffer overflow in the video structure
- CVE-2021-40057Vulnerabilities resulting in heap-based and stack-based buffer overflow in the video structure
- CVE-2021-40056Vulnerability of copying input buffer without controlling its size in the video structure
- CVE-2021-40063: Improper access control vulnerability in video module
- CVE-2021-40064: Vulnerability resulting in heap-based buffer overflow in system components
- CVE-2021-40055: Man-in-the-middle attack vulnerability when downloading system update in recovery mode.
Full details on the severity of each fixed vulnerability and the affected versions of the EMUI and Magic UI are available on the Huawei website at this link.
Huawei and HONOR devices that will be updated
Always from official site Huawei – which has not yet been updated to include the models just launched – we learn the complete list of models receiving security updates, with a distinction between those updated on a monthly basis and those updated quarterly.
Huawei and HONOR monthly security patch recipients:
- HUAWEI Mate Series: HUAWEI Mate 20 X (5G), HUAWEI Mate Xs, HUAWEI Mate 30 Pro, HUAWEI Mate 40 Pro
- HUAWEI P series: HUAWEI P40, HUAWEI P40 Pro +, HUAWEI P40 Pro, HUAWEI P smart 2020, HUAWEI P smart 2021, HUAWEI P40 lite, HUAWEI P40 lite E, HUAWEI P40 lite 5G, HUAWEI P30 lite New Edition, HUAWEI P smart Pro, HUAWEI P smart S
- HUAWEI nova series: HUAWEI nova 5T
- HUAWEI Y Series: HUAWEI Y6s, HUAWEI Y6p, HUAWEI Y5p
- HONOR Series: HONOR 20 Pro, HONOR 20E, HONOR 8A, HONOR 9A, HONOR 9X, HONOR 9X lite, HONOR 9X Pro
Huawei quarterly security patch recipients:
- HUAWEI Mate Series: HUAWEI Mate 20 Pro
- HUAWEI P series: HUAWEI P30 Pro, HUAWEI P30, HUAWEI P30 lite, HUAWEI P20 lite, HUAWEI P20 Pro
- Tablet: HUAWEI MediaPad M6, HUAWEI MatePad T, HUAWEI MatePad T 10S, HUAWEI MatePad, HUAWEI MatePad T 10.
It might also interest you: Huawei P50 Pro review