According to several users, a problem arises right after launching a game. If you are facing the same error ” Unable to Initialize Steam API »After launching a game from your Steam library, You are in the right place.
In our guide, we are going to look at the reasons for this error and determine the possible solutions to resolve it. Let’s get started.
To resolve it, use the following solutions:
Another computer is using the printer [7 Solutions]
Solution 1. Disable your game’s executable program in the firewall
This method has solved the problem, according to many users. A third-party firewall or even your ” Windows Defender »Can block the executable of your game.
The first solution is to make an exception for your game to run in the firewall.
- Go to the Windows search bar and type Control panel
- Select the control panel to open it.
- Switch display in large icons and scroll down and select Windows Defender Firewall
- Click on the option » Authorize an app or feature through Windows Defender Firewall »(Left) to display the list of applications
- Meeting on game application that is having problems with your firewall and check the boxes next to public and private networks
- Click on the icon OK for apply changes
- Once you are done, restart your PC and launch the game to see if it works without showing the error » Unable to Initialize Steam API “.
This solution worked for most of the users who had issues launching their games.
[7 Solutions] Error Loading Media File Could not be Played
Solution 2: Force restart the program
The main reason for the error ” Unable to Initialize Steam API »When accessing the game is due to problems with the steam client.
To solve this problem, it is mandatory to force restart the client.
Steps to force restart
- Launch the task manager simultaneously pressing the keys ctrl, shift and Esc.
- Select the tab ” Process ” and do right click on the application Steam to choose the option ” Complete the task “.
[2 Solutions] What is Windows-BT? To delete ?
Solution 3: Run the game as administrator
Since “Unable to Initialize Steam API” occurs mainly due to problems with the client, it is possible to avoid it by running the application as administrator.
- Go to start menu and open My computer or this PC. Choose the location on the drive where the Steam is installed.
- Locate the game executable file
- Click with right mouse button on the game’s .exe file and go to file properties.
- Use compatibility tab for allow administrator privileges to the application
Fix Asus “Aptio Setup Utility” Freeze [4 Solutions]
Solution 4: Disable automatic retain on Comodo Internet Security
If you use the Comodo antivirus program on your computer, you may have noticed that theThis program sometimes blocks programs completely using its automatic containment options which are automatically activated.
You must deactivate this option or simply remove the game executable from the list of blocked programs in order to resolve the problem immediately.
- Open user interface of Comodo Internet Security by double-clicking on its icon on office or in the system tray (lower right part of the screen).
- Open the Settings window clicking on the Settings button from home screen and make sure you navigate to the Containment tab.
- Under this tab, you must click on the sub-section Automatic containment.
- After clicking on the automatic containment section, you should see a checkbox at the top of the window saying Enable automatic containment.
- You can simply uncheck it in order to no longer use this function which automatically blocks the execution of certain programs.
- You can also locate the game executable in the list that will appear below and simply disable the slider under the Enable automatic containment option in order to stop blocking the affected application.
- Confirm the changes and relaunch the game to see if the problem still appears.
[7 Solutions] Error No SCTR Connection Path
Solution 5: Remove beta programs and relaunch
If you don’t know, Steam Beta send you the latest updates but also faulty or incomplete programs.
Follow the steps mentioned below for you opt out of all Steam beta projects and solve the problem.
- Launch the Steam PC client
- Press the “” icon (in the menu at the top of the customer’s screen).
- Choose Settings
- Now in the settings window, in the tab ” Account “And click on the button” To modify “(Under the section” Beta participation “)
- A new window opens, under participation in Beta and click to open the drop-down list. Select the option ” Unsubscribe from all beta programs ”.
- Apply the changes that you have made
- For kill all programs related to Steam, Press on Ctrl + Shift + Esc keys to open the utility Task Manager
- Click on More details icon (bottom left of the window) to develop your task Manager
- Search now all related programs.
- For example : Steam.exe, Bootstrapper, etc. Make sure that these programs related to Steam program are in basic processes.
- Choose them all one by one and select the option » Complete the task ”(In the lower right part).
- Or you can just restart your pc.
- Click on the button Yes for to confirm
Relaunch your customer and check if the error persists during startup. However, if you are still facing the error on your PC, make sure to disable all beta programs.
Solution 6: Reinstallation
Reinstalling Steam is one of the less popular methods and it’s not for nothing that it’s placed as the last on our list.
This method has solved the problem for many users, but it should be used as a last resort, as there are many easier methods that you should try before doing so.
It is true that uninstallation removes your game files that need to be recharged later, but by following the steps below you should be able to save these files easily.
- Open your customer by performing a double-click on the desktop or by searching for it in the menu To start up and clicking on the first available result.
- After opening, click the Steam button in the upper right part of the window and choose Settings from the drop-down menu.
- Navigate to the tab Downloads in the window Settings and click on Library files.
- You should see here the complete list of all libraries that you are currently using and the files that you should look for when the backup.
- Since the default folder is C >> Program Files (x86) >> Steam >> steamapps, let’s see how save it.
- Navigate to the location above by clicking to open any folder or file explorer and clicking on This PC Where Workplace in the right panel.
- Then open the location above and find the “steamapps” folder.
- Click with the right button mouse over the folder and choose the option To copy in the context menu.
- Navigate to any location outside of the ” steamapps »On your computer and paste the folder by clicking with the right button mouse button and choosing ” To stick on“.
- The best location would be your office.
- Repeat the same process for all library folders.
- After having the uninstalled, you should again add the folders as Steam Library folders like you did the first time.
After having saved your gaming installations, the next step is to uninstall from your computer. This can be done easily by using Settings application or Control Panel.
- First of all, make sure that you are logged in with an administrator account because you will not be able uninstall programs using the privileges of another account.
- Make sure you have completed the above steps for each file of the library that you use on your computer and take note their correct location in order to add them again once it is reinstalled.
- Click on the menu To start up and open the Control Panel by looking for it.
- You can also click gear icon in order to open the settings if you use Windows 10.
- In the Control Panel, select Display under: Category in the upper right corner and click Uninstall a program in the section Programs.
- If you use Settings app, clicking on Applications should immediately open a list of all programs installed on your PC.
- Locate the entrance Steam in the list and click on it.
- Click on the Uninstall button above the list and confirm any dialogs that may appear.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to uninstall and of restart your computer afterwards.
Conclusion: Unable to Initialize Steam API
By following the instructions mentioned above, we can easily fix “Unable to Initialize Steam API”. Although errors are common in the systems world, there are a few solutions that we can use to fix the problem permanently.