You may have noticed that WMI Provider Host consumes more than 70% of your CPU when you open the task manager. This slows down the performance of your system. We have seen many Windows users report the same problem to the Official Windows Forum, but they don’t get any effective solutions.
Today in this tutorial, we are going to show you how you can fix the high CPU issue.
What is a WMI Provider Host (WmiPrvSE.exe)?
If you don’t know, WMI Provider Host is a component of the OS (operating system) Microsoft Windows. It control the business environment and provides management information.
Thanks to WMI Provider Host, managers can set or request information about system components, the networks, the programs, as well as on others business components. Those who develop applications can use it to notify Windows users when important issues arise.
Without WmiPrvSE.exe, all Windows programs, including system applications and the programs installed could not be managed. The reason is that he is a host, which allows all management services to function. In addition, users will not have no notification when errors will occur.
Where is the WmiPrvSE.exe file located? In case you need to find WmiPrvSE, you can find it at the following path:
C: WINDOWS System32 Wbem WmiPrvSE.exe
Also Read: 4 Methods to Remove AutoKMS / Win32 HackTool
Solution 1. Scan your computer for viruses and malware
I have read many posts in the forum of Microsoft, and many experts recommend downloading a program Anti-malware for scan the computer. Sometimes virus or some Malware may be the source of the problem high CPU usage by WmiPrvSE.
In case you don’t know which is the best program anti-malware, I suggest you see this guide on Avast and Windows Defender.
[7 Solutions] Solve “Clock Watchdog Timeout” Win 10
Solution 2. Restart the Windows Management Instrumentation service
- The first step is to restart the service (WMI Provider Host). To do this, press Windows + R, type: ” services.msc »And press Entrance.
- In the window Services, search Windows management infrastructure, right-click on it and choose To restart.
- In most cases, restart the WMI service will help you to solve this high CPU usage problem.
Note: I recommend that you do not deactivate Windows management infrastructure. It is an important system service, and many system components and Windows applications cannot function properly without it.
[10 Solutions] Repair “INET_E_RESOURCE_NOT_FOUND”
Solution 3. Scan and repair corrupted system files
As I mentioned at the start of this article, corrupted Windows system files can also cause this problem. For analyze and repair corrupt files,
- Press on Windows + X, then on TO to open theCommand prompt as administrator.
Note: In case your Windows PC activates UAC, it may show you a dialog box YES NO to ask if you want to run the program or not.
- In a window d‘Command Prompt, type:
sfc / scannow and press Entrance.
- Once this process is complete, place the second order below:
DISM / Online / Cleanup-Image / RestoreHealth and press Entrance.
(8 Solutions) Fix Error 0xc00d36c4 Windows 10
Solution 4. Restart the “IP Assistance” and “Security Center” services
With the service Windows management infrastructure, here are two more Windows services that you should restart to help resolve the issue:
- IP assistance (iphlpsvc)
- Security Center (wscsvc)
Restart both services , then also restart Windows management infrastructure.
For a more detailed diagnosis, you can also use event viewer, access Application and Service Logs> Microsoft> Windows> WMI-Activity for additional information on each activity WMI. Based on this information, you can quickly find out the cause of this problem.
You can also access Windows services, locate all non-Microsoft services, and stop them one by one until the high CPU usage issue will be resolved.
[8 Méthodes] Solve “Missing Operating System”
Solution 5. Locate the process using Event Viewer and uninstall it
Open Event Viewer. If you are using Windows 7 or earlier, find Event Viewer in the start menu, then open it. If you are using Windows 8 / 8.1 or 10, just press Windows key + X to open the menu, then click Event Viewer in the menu.
- Click on Display in the toolbar at the top of the windowEvent Viewer and click on View analysis and debugging logs.
- In the left pane of the window, navigate to Applications and Services Logs > Microsoft > Windows > WMI-Activity.
- Double click on WMI-Activity to expand its content and click on Operational in the list to open operational logs from WMI.
- Search mistakes, and when you find them, click on it to display its specifications at the bottom of the window.
- Under the tab General specifications of the error you clicked, search for the term ClientProcessID , and when you find it, write down or memorize the numbers – 1079, for example – that follow it.
- Close theEvent Viewer and open the task manager. Hold the key Windows held down and press R. In dialogue Execute, type taskmgr and click on OK.
- Go to the tab Services and look for the service that has the same ID process (PID) that the number (s) that followed the attribute ClientProcessID term.
- The service that has the corresponding process ID is the guilty, so once you find it, disable it immediately and go to Control panel to select Programs and Features and uninstall the program for which the guilty service was destined.
- Once the program is uninstalled, the WMI problem should be fixed.
[9 Solutions] Repair “Windows Shell Experience Host”
Solution 6. Remove Conduit Search:
One of the most common causes of this problem is a Malware called ” Conduit Search “. This app usually installs together with another app without you noticing it, and it causes this issue to appear. To resolve the issue, you must first stop Conduit Search and the uninstall. To do this, follow the steps below:
- Press on Ctrl + Shift + Esc to open the Task Manager.
- In the tab Process, locate Conduit Search, right-click on it and choose Complete the task.
- Once the process stop, Press the key Windows + I to open the Settings. Go to section System.
- In the left pane, select Applications and Features. The list of installed applications is displayed. Select Conduit Search and click on the button Uninstall.
- After having deleted Conduit Search from your PC, restart your PC and check. Another application that can cause this problem is Youcam, so if you have it on your PC, you need to disable it from Task Manager and uninstall it.
Also Read: 8 Solutions to Fix Code 45 (This Device …)
It was therefore a question of how solve the problem high CPU usage per WMI Provider Host. If you have a problem, you can report it to us in the comments section below, and we’ll try to help.